Thursday 18 April 2013

Evaluation Q2


2) How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

In the run up to this project I was able to acquire a Macbook Pro and the editing software Final Cut Pro 7 from an uncle who works in the industry. I was fortunate enough to
 know a lot of people who were experienced with the software and were able to teach me the basics and shortcuts within it so when I came to edit the final piece it made the editing process faster and more efficient. Before editing I had practiced using the software on several smaller projects and made myself familiar with it so that it wasn't too difficult when it came around to a bigger project such as this. I didn't have many problems throughout the editing process as I knew what shots I wanted to use and how the timeline would be laid out. The only issues I had, came from technical issues such as setting a scratch disk with a new external hard drive and also using external sound and lip sync within the interview section. Despite this they were easily overcome by asking people I knew who could help and by researching different techniques to overcome this using the internet. Overall it was a smooth and enjoyable process in the post production of the final piece. 
Before this project I had used DSLR cameras but was not completely comfortable with all the correct settings and functions that the camera had in order to improve the overall outcome. I researched before filming some of the important settings and formats I needed the camera to be in beforehand so I was prepared when it came round to filming. I became familiar with how to use ISO, Aperture and white balance correctly so that my images were not over exposed or off colour to how I wanted the shot to look. Throughout the filming process my skills of using the camera and knowledge of the technical side of it increased and by the end of the 4 days filming together with all the practice before the trip was confident with the camera.

When researching in the early stages on the project, the use of television and the internet were extremely beneficial as they gave me a huge variety of different documentaries that were out in the industry. This allowed me to compare the different genres within documentary and gave me the opportunity to take inspiration from productions that were already out there regarding editing techniques and shot selection. I used sites such as YouTube and Vimeo as they gave me the access to films and independent filmmakers who are posting their work. Both these sites allow feedback and have access to a huge target audience from fellow filmmakers to casual viewers at home on their computers.



No comments:

Post a Comment