Tuesday 12 March 2013

Filming diary

Day 1 - 
Still jet lagged from the day travelling before I walked into the town we're staying in on the outskirts of Pune to look around city and find potential filming locations. At the end of the road we were staying on was the main city road where I was able to film a number of B-roll shots, for example the traffic passing by and lanterns at the side of the road which were there for the Diwali festival. The weather was extremely hot and stuffy in contrast to the English weather so was a short filming trip until we headed back to the place we were staying at to refill with water and rest for the days ahead.

Day 2 -
On the morning of day 2 I got into a minibus to take us to the centre we would be working at and used my external sound recorder to record some of the music that was playing on the local Indian radio stations which I could use as background music in my final piece. We then returned in the afternoon to where we were staying so I used this opportunity to walk around the city and the area we were staying to shoot more B-roll footage of the natural surroundings and the establishing shots of the city that could be used in the opening. As I was filming I heard the sound of bongo drums playing in the distance so I decided I would try and find the source of the music. After 5-10 mins I found a bongo band who were practicing. I explained to them my project and they allowed me to record some of their music to be used within the film. I then stayed for another 15 mins whilst they asked me questions about England. In the evening I took my first ride in an autoricshaw which is the Indian version of a taxi, however it's more like a motorbike with a roof. Having said this I was able to capture great shots out of the side showing the travel through the whole city and 'madness' of the city and environment they live in.

Day 3 - 
In the afternoon of Day 3 I was introduced to Jos who was the leader of an organisation that took women who were in slavery and gave them jobs and skills to make a new start to life. He told us some amazing stories of the people he works with. I knew this would be a great opportunity for me to find out first hand what "Freedom" meant to him. I approached him at the end of his talk to us and asked him whether it would be possible to interview him for my project. He was more than happy to and I gave him the question I wanted to ask and without any further direction spoke for 6 minutes straight on the concept of freedom. It was a mad rush in order to make the shot perfect and I ran into my first technical problems when the memory card ran out of space mid take. In the end everything fell into place and it was a perfect opportunity that I am fortunate to have found and gave me the interview I could base the documentary film around.

Day 4 - 
The evening of Day 4 brought on the first day of the Diwali festival celebrations, which meant the city was jam packed with people messing around with fireworks at the side of the road and incredible paintings on the floor of the streets. This was a golden opportunity to get a lot of B-roll footage of the people in the city celebrating and many shots of fireworks in the sky. In the evening me and my dad both set up our tripods on the roof and experimented with our cameras taking photos of the fireworks.

All in all the trip to Pune, India was a great opportunity and a gold mine for incredible footage that was impossible to capture every last image of. The camera and sound equipment worked extremely well and made filming and post production quicker and easier and improved the quality of the final product massively.

No comments:

Post a Comment